Monday, August 26, 2013

New Book, New Ideas

I just received a new book in the mail, The Art of Maynard Dixon, by Donald Hagerty.  I have been looking up Dixon's work for weeks now, pouring over the images and trying to learn how he handled his landscapes.  I am in LOVE with his work.  As you know, I have struggled with landscapes for ever.  I think Dixon's use of simplification is something I can wrap my mind around and use as I learn to find my own way through the landscape riddle.  Now I can see the photos of his paintings in printed form and not just on my iPad screen.  Very excited to read this.



To see some of his paintings and read a bit about him, follow this link:

http://www.canyonroadarts.com/maynard-dixons-new-mexico/

I began a watercolor of a rocky bluff near my home this weekend.  I am moving very slowly on this, trying to puzzle out my next move.  Kind of like a chess game with a canvas!  As I study my new book, I am hoping for some inspiration on how to proceed.  I will keep you posted.  Fail or succeed.  I promise.  Unless it is a HUGE, tragic failure, then I reserve the right to say "never mind!"

However, here is the beginning:


We will see....



No comments: