Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Paper Junkie

Vellum, book end paper, Yupo, Japanese papers, Mi Tienes, sketch books of all varieties, tracing paper, laid papers, papyrus, waxed paper, brown paper bags, even plain old printing paper...  I have a thing for it.  The most important paper in my world, though is watercolor paper.  Cold pressed, hot pressed, rough, 140 pounds, 300 pounds, bright white, natural, tinted- you might say I'm an addict.

Treasure disguised as a plain, brown package- just sitting on my front porch waiting for me.
Yesterday I came home to find a large, flat package on my front porch.  The UPS man is my enabler; every time I get a hankering for paper he delivers!  Dick Blick is having a sale on watercolor paper and the chance to get 300lb. Arches for $10.00 a sheet couldn't be missed.  Running low on the very best watercolor paper I've ever used was making me nervous.  I've been all aquiver just thinking about what to use it for.  The smell of it, the vast, white possibilities of all that paper -together with the toothy feel- well, it makes a girl giddy.

With two sheets left in my old watercolor block, I have no excuse to tear the wrapper off of the new one yet.  I'll save it as a treat although I'm tempted to open it just for the fun right now.  I know- I'm weird. 
Do they make a 12 step program for people like me?  If they do, I don't want to know about it.  Keep it to yourself.  I'm busy putting paper away as I count how many sheets I have in my flat file and figuring how long they'll last me.  After I'm finished putting the new paper away, I'll open the other paper drawers and think of things to make and projects ahead.  Like a miser counting coins.  You could say I have a problem, but you'd be wrong.  I have paper!  And it makes me happy.

Thanks for stopping by! Alice    



No comments: