Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Taking Time Out, It Helps

While soaking in my font of ideas earlier tonight, I was pondering on life, stress and creativity.  Let's face it, I haven't exactly been overflowing with studio work recently.  I'm putting one foot in front of the other these days, but it's like hiking through very wet mud.  What I needed this evening was clarity.  It was time to hop off of the crazy train and take some time out for thinking.
I so admire this piece by Lawren S. Harris, a member of Canada's Group of Seven. He eliminated the details and painted what he felt, making this a painting that stirs my soul

As I pondered on the state of things, I realized that when I was painting on cotton fabric a couple of weeks ago I was excited about a project again.  It wasn't a technical challenge like the water in my recent Lake Powell  piece, (which for some reason had to be painted, but boy what a chore) rather it was a chance to see what the materials I was using would do on fabric.  Period.  No other reason.

As I look at art that moves me, I realize it's not terribly realistic or technically perfect.  There are so many beautiful paintings that are not merely careful interpretations of what the eye can see.  It has begun to occur to me that when one lets go of what is strictly visible and begins to express what is in the heart, the resulting creative work has more power.  And my work has lost the ability to move me.  No wonder I quit painting the past few weeks.  It's time to change something up.  To see with more than my eyes.  And I'm ready.

Thanks for stopping by!  Alice

No comments: