Wednesday, December 14, 2016

The Black Resist Surrenders

Today I was so excited to get home from work and start adding color to my composition that I didn't even have to debate myself on a hot caramel sundae at McDonalds.  The idea of the black resist keeping the colors in their boundaries was such a fun one that I had dreams of all sorts of fabric creations.  Till I started! Oh, my.  It may work on silk, and I intend to find out, but on cotton?  Not so good, Al.  
Turned upside-down to let the running color stay away from the lower area of the frame; note the dye running down the table.  My bathrobe may never recover...
Beginning with the leaf shapes, I started putting greens in.  It looked pretty great till I began the sky area.  Pretty quick, colors jumped the boundaries of the so-called resist and began to run together.  I turned the piece upside-down and sprayed with water till color was running off in streams, which is a cool look but not the one I was aiming for.  Not to mention what the wall and art table look like now.  It's a good thing I like eye-popping blues.
As it sits now.  Kind of cool.  Kind of not.  

Grabbing clean paper towels I decided to see how much color could be lifted.  Some, as you can see if you compare the lower photo with the upper one, but not enough to make much difference.  So, while the colors are vibrant and blend together in an attractive way, the black resist on cotton is a real disappointment.  Which is a bummer.  However, this story isn't over yet..

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

No comments: