Saturday, December 24, 2016

Christmas- My Two Cents

Years ago, my husband's mom found a photo of a nativity set in a magazine and asked him to make her a copy of it. Awhile back, he made one for me. This evening I sat down across the room from it and found myself just looking at the characters. The way the light lay across the simple lines and curves of the shapes and made the colors of the wood stand out really moved me.  


The set, all put away

You know, society puts so much pressure on us over the "holidays." Ads offering financing for the perfect Christmas, diamonds, vacations- and don't forget that little something for yourself, you deserve it! Going to the store for a dozen eggs ends up being a bombardment of meaningless holiday music and pressure to buy, buy, buy. Get the perfect gifts- give the gift that says "I love you!" And while you're at it, don't forget the lights, candy, and stocking stuffers. As if you can buy love.


Soft light and simple lines
 Contrasted against all the glare and bling, a handmade, wooden nativity set might seem pretty plain. It doesn't have batteries or lights and it doesn't play music or move when you walk past. It quietly sits on my table, glowing with meaning. It reminds me that the Prince of Peace, the Light of the World came as a baby in a rustic stable. All the fuss and spending and pressure have nothing to do with His birth, life or teachings. In fact, I think they can be distractions that obscure the real messages.  The messages of peace on earth, goodwill towards men, love one another and for God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, are all quietly embodied in my little, wooden nativity set. To me, this is what Christmas is about.

Merry Christmas, my friends.

1 comment:

Anna Lisa said...

I like that 2 cents!!!