Friday, December 9, 2016

Simplifying a Subject

Do you see too much?  I do.  It's difficult for me to eliminate details, particularly in a landscape.  I was looking at Youtube videos and came across this idea- again.  I'd seen it years ago, but had forgotten all about it.  I'm fascinated with what it made and how much better I understand the composition.
A simple print from my desktop printer, outlined with a Sharpie to show the basic shapes


First, I printed out a photo of a place I have wanted to paint for years.  Then, using a Sharpie marker, I outlined the basic shapes, simplifying things like leaves or other busy areas.  It began to look like a block print, a look I admire.  By the time I'd gotten the basic shapes outlined, I could also see how the colors could be simplified in an effective, dramatic way.
The reverse side with light behind it.  Seeing the composition in reverse and with less color really helped me understand the basic shapes.  

Turning it to the reverse side and holding it up to a light gave me an even better idea of how the composition worked and how many details I could take out to make a stronger painting.  I can see that this will be a useful technique in the future.  In fact, I've been going through photos I've stored up thinking about them in this same way.  Without putting any paint down tonight I've spent time in the studio that will serve me well.  A good evening.

Thanks for stopping by!  Alice

No comments: