Saturday, June 13, 2020

Petrified Forest and Painted Desert Inn

Last fall we visited the Petrified Forest Nation Park.  It is near our home, so we decided to make a day of it.  There are several small hikes to get a good look at the countryside around and in the park and some really marvelous examples of petrified wood all over the place.  Sitting on the edge of the Painted Desert, it is fascinating country.  When the world opens up again and the wind dies down, I want to paint the scenes on site.  

My husband and I at the Petrified National Forest

We hiked around, including at the ruins of an old pueblo village, saw some great petroglyphs and enjoyed the visitor's center.  I always love the antics of the crows and there were plenty there to entertain me.  It's a small park, just enough for one day of exploration, but well worth our time.  However, at the northern end we came upon the historic Painted Desert Inn and that is what really caught my imagination. If you want to learn about it, this website will take care of that. I fell in love with that old building.  
 
The Painted Desert Inn has little rooms and hidden spots tucked away.  
Up the Back Stairs, 14" x  20"

So far, I've done two paintings inspired by the inn.  I love the warmth of the old, uneven masonry walls and the wobbly texture they create.  The views from the balconies of the Painted Desert are inspiring and I wandered around the place feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't live there.  

Done in gouache, this little piece was fun to paint.
7" x 10"

If you ever drive by it along I-40 and have a little time to explore, the park and inn are worth the effort to go see.  And maybe you'll even see me there. 

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

No comments: