Thursday, June 18, 2020

Hollyhocks

After finishing the Poppies painting I wrote about a few days ago, I was ready to play around some more with the same techniques.  This time, I wanted to try a different color palette and darker background.  

The start of a new piece.  The stem creates a vertical division between the right and left parts of the plane. I was excited to see what I could do with those spaces.

I primed the paper again, a bit lighter than the previous painting, and drew the design with the Mask Pen on the dry paper.  

Adding the first colors pretty much sets the tone the subsequent layers will lean. 

Putting the first layer of paint down can be pretty random as most of it will be covered with subsequent layers as the piece progresses.  I wanted a realistic subject to be mixed with a less realistic background, hoping that mixing the two looks would make the flower shapes pop out visually.  

The finished piece, Hollyhocks
10" x  8" on Arches 140 lb. cold pressed paper
with glitter and sequins

Again, adding the glitter and sequins to the piece was so much fun.  Depending on where the painting is viewed from, the bling picks up light and catches the eye,  highlighting different parts of the design. I have no idea if this will be a style I use for the rest of my life or if it will be the bridge to a whole new concept, but in the meantime, it has been a worthwhile thing to try.

Thanks for stopping by! Alice




4 comments:

Anna Lisa said...

I am digging this series Alice!! LOVE!

Alice Jo Webb said...

I'm so glad! Thanks.

Candy said...

Very exciting, Alice! Pretty and I can see it was a lot of fun.

Alice Jo Webb said...

Thank you, Candy!