Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Along the Right of Way

This little painting is one of my all-time favorites.  It is of a place I love to look at and is one of those pieces that practically painted itself.  I wish I could work this freely and instinctively all of the time. It is of a place I love to be; maybe that contributed.  Now and then we go to Albuquerque, N.M. along I-40 and this is part of the view on that drive.  It never ceases to thrill me because the light is always new and highlights something different to the eye. 

Along the Right of Way
Watercolor on 140 lb. Arches cold pressed paper
3.9" x 10"
My former job occasionally took me up in to Navajo country where views like this are everywhere. Each time I got to interact with the people who live on the Navajo reservation I came away feeling happy and connected- in some way I can't explain.  This painting expresses what I felt one day coming home from a senior center along this route.  The people were so kind and gracious during my visit and the love I felt for them nearly overwhelmed me.  I painted this piece soon after.  It was a two-fer; I got to express my emotions and solidify a memory.  Cool stuff.

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

No comments: