Monday, August 29, 2016

Inktense Water-Soluable Pencils

The idea of painting on fabric has been floating in the back of my mind recently.  It has floated around enough to finally prompt me to buy a small set and try them out. I need to get myself to a real town and get the fabrics I want to try them on, but in the meantime there's no reason not to start playing with them right now.  Last night I sat down and began to familiarize myself with the colors and properties of them.

Don't you just love art supplies that come in their own containers?  This one is so pretty, too.
Although they come in varying sets and open stock, I figured the 24 set would do for my purposes and ordered them from Amazon last week after I sold a painting.  You know, to celebrate the sale...  But really, does one need an excuse for more art supplies?  I think we all know the answer to that.

How the earth tones looked on my Arches rough watercolor paper before water was added.
Bright and bold, these are not watercolor pencils.  They are ink in a pencil form which activates with water.  Once dry, they are there to stay.  No lifting or blending additional layers with them.  However, while wet, they are very workable.  The intense color spreads very far, making light washes or deep hues possible.  They layer nicely after they've dried and blend with each other while wet, too.

Although the set is 24 pencils, 22 of them are color, one is white (which makes the colors more opaque) and a non-watersoluble liner.  Vibrant color and very easy to handle wet.
So far, these are nifty little guys.  I'm excited to keep learning about them and will share as I go.  In the meantime...

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

No comments: