Thursday, August 11, 2016

Colorado Plateau, Losing the Details

As you may know, I've been trying to figure out how to stop being sidetracked by all the little details in my paintings for ages.  Today is no exception- simplification has been rolling around in my head as I've pondered on how to paint what I feel instead of what I see in landscapes.  I've pretty much got it down in cacti, but looking at a landscape and being able to see only the important (to me) elements has been a long struggle.  I get bogged down in all that I observe.  
Colorado Plateau
Watercolor on 140 lb. Arches cold pressed paper
7" x 10"
This summer I took a photo that has been nagging me for weeks and so figured it was time to experiment with the shapes of it on a small piece of paper while I worked out how to paint a studio piece.  School was hard yesterday and I was not up to anything more complicated than that anyway. Or so I thought. Two hours later I had finished this little painting and forgotten all the woes of the day.  In the process, I somehow managed to eliminate the details.  I forgot to fret over making realistic textures or how to represent my subject in all its amazing glory and just made shapes. And learned a huge lesson.  I tell my students all of the time, "Just look at the shapes!"  I guess it finally filtered through my mind.  I know, I'm slow, but sooner or later I usually get there.

Thanks for stopping by! Alice 

2 comments:

Anna Lisa said...

REALLY like this direction!

Anonymous said...

Me too! Now I'm all intimidated about being able to pull it off again...