Monday, September 5, 2016

I Hate Green

Yep, most of the time, I hate green.  It’s not an easy color to work with and can easily overpower an otherwise good landscape.  Often.  Sigh…
 
The greens just got too vivid and it's easy to do.



Maybe I need to find a green substitute.  Other painters have and their vegetation shapes work out beautifully.  This is something I know, but each time I think, “Nah, I can pull it off.”  Right.  I’m actually very frustrated this afternoon, but I’ll get over it. 
After eating half a chocolate bar and taking a little while to cool down, I added a layer of blue over the green area to tone it down a bit.  In retrospect, I should have tried a layer of Burnt Sienna over it to neutralize it.  Guess I needed more time to cool off...

The truth is, I’ve learned that if I want a body of good work, I have to paint a lot.  Some of my pieces will be things I’m happy with but most of them will be mediocre.  When one gets painting days only occasionally like around here lately, it slows down progress and makes it seem like one can only turn out the mediocre stuff.  I know it’s not true, but it’s easy to forget. 
The image cropped.  Nope, it still doesn't fix the problem.  Oh well, you win some, you lose some.  

One positive thing to take out of today’s painting session is that I know what direction I need to work- finding better ways to represent green vegetation.  Brown and blue?  Yellow shades with a bit of raw umber?  Hmmm, sounds intriguing. 


Thank you for stopping by! Alice

2 comments:

Alison said...

It's the reason I don't typically do landscapes. This summer I went to Arches National Park so I'm inspired by non-green landscapes. Love the way you do those.

Alice Jo Webb said...

Thanks, Alison. I need to get me to the canyon lands again, your comment made me long to get in the truck and run away from home!