Sunday, September 1, 2013

Onion and Potatoes

Sometimes the sketch and the finished painting don't look much like each other.  In this piece, I did a sketch in charcoal to see how my idea would flesh out.  I was feeling rather out of place in a new situation and decided I was an onion among potatoes.  The potatoes know the onion is different and the onion knows it stands out.  The thing they don't realize is how much better they are together.  (Fried, if you ask me)  Anyway, in my self pity I did this piece and actually ended up liking it.  It hangs in my studio to remind me that self pity is dumb and that creating something always makes me feel better!

A simple piece, but a good lesson.




I think one reason the sketch and painting turned out so different, was we had the sketch for dinner.  The painting was a whole new set of veggies.  


No comments: