Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Leading a Rich Life



Pastel artist, Richard McKinley recently wrote, "Remember, art is the cultural bedrock of a civilization and its worth is beyond measure." I believe all forms of creativity are the cultural bedrocks of our society. Thinking, sharing ideas and expressing ourselves is a wonderful part of our humanity. For myself, however, painting and visual arts are the form I choose for this expression. But, where does the inspiration for this come from?


As I learn my own language of expression, the writings and work of others influences are of utmost importance in that journey. John of Salisbury said, "We are like dwarfs sitting on the shoulders of giants. We see more, and things that are more distant, than they did, not because our sight is superior or because we are taller than they, but because they raise us up, and by their great stature add to ours." What a great and enduring idea! As we seek to learn to speak artistically, it isn't "bad" to use the ideas of others, it is progress. To build on the work of others is to become part of a procession of people maintaining that cultural bedrock McKinley refers to. Someday, someone may draw inspiration from MY work, keeping the chain going on into the future.


Whoever first said that there are no original ideas was right. We are influenced by everything we see, read and hear. Our own inspiration is a unique combination of the influences that have made impressions on us. This, I believe, is what makes our personal vision so individual. What each of us has to say is the product of what we have experienced through our senses. What we produce will change and evolve as we learn and grow.


Seeing as much beauty as I can, reading about the ideas of others and experiencing new adventures in my life can only influence my art for good, helping me to expand my vision and ability. And my friends, doesn't that make for a rich life?


(To read a great article by Richard McKinley on being an artist, go to  http://www.artistsnetwork.com/articles/business-of-art/the-artists-labor-httpwww-artistsnetwork-comuncategorizedthe-artists-labo )



No comments: