Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Dry Spells

I think most people hit creative dry spells along their way, no matter what medium they pursue.  I've found that I usually tank after I ruin a painting.  After the Steeple Rock piece I could feel the dread settling in.  It is recognizable by the way I avoid coming out to my studio.  Usually, my house gets very clean during these times.  Good thing, too, because during a productive time, the house doesn't even exist as far as I'm concerned.  A good dry spell keeps us from becoming a health hazard..

My husband's wood studio is right outside the back door of my painting studio.  He's been avoiding it all summer.  However, the last few days he's beginning to hit his stride again.   A client ordered a cabinet for her latest remodel, so Tom has been working on it and getting back into the creative process.  This makes me happy, as all the wood and materials are just waiting for him to make me a new sofa out in that shop! Come on Tom!



So, it's time to work my way through this slump.  I have a commission due the end of Oct.  I have to hit a good stride and get cranking on it pronto.  Going out to look at the trains Sunday evening was part of that process of waiting for the muse to hit me upside the head.  Along with the painting-for-hire going on here, I have an idea cooking in the back of my mind.  The more I spend time outdoors, the more I will be itching to get back in the proverbial saddle again. 

Another way to work through this is to just force myself to paint and draw till the magic steals over my mind and I begin to feel it again.  Last dry spell I had, I sat down with my Graphitint pencils and began to play with them.  By the time I was done, I had cooked up the idea for my Bottles With Apple still life.  You never know what will pull you out of a dead spell, but the old adage of "Nothing ventured, nothing gained" really applies here.  Work is the key to finding your way back to the top of the pile again.  I'm off to work!  


Bottle Study, Graphitint watersoluable graphite and white pencil 
on paper, 10"x16"




2 comments:

Juliana said...

I needed this today! Been in a writing slump for far too long. Time to get motivated...or at least get writing!

Alice Jo Webb said...

I don't know about you, but the longer I put it off, the tougher it is to begin. Good luck!