Thursday, September 5, 2013

3 Point Perspective

Sometimes, you just have to find a new way to look at your subject to help you stay fresh and not just imitate what you see.  The first time I realized this was painting a still life for a class.  My painting teacher in Santa Fe was a big proponent of the idea "Paint From LIFE!"  She hated to see any student working to reproduce a photo.  "If you want it to look like a photo," she'd say, "take a picture and be done."  I realized she was right and began to try to work from life when ever I could.  I still do.  Photos stifle the creative process.

After my props were set up for this painting and I began to draw, she came by and suggested I find a new way to present my piece.  I've spent years learning to make things look on canvas and paper just like they, well.. LOOK.  Changing it up was a new concept.  I stewed on it awhile and finally decided to draw it out in three point perspective.  What a difference it made in my finished piece. This piece reminds me to stay fresh. Sometimes, you just have to shake it up.

Study Time, Oils, 20" x 24"


No comments: