Monday, November 30, 2015

Lone Rock

The colors around Page, AZ and Lake Powell vary from deep reds and pinks to orange and yellow.  It's a pretty great variety.  While there I was taken with this rock formation peeking above the lake and had to get color notes.  

Lone Rock, Lake Powell, AZ in my Moleskine watercolor book, gouache, pen and ink- the streaks in the sky are from dried paint bits getting stuck in my brush. Oh well!

I love working in my travel journals because it's fun to dash a little painting out willy-nilly and not worry too much about precision.  More relaxing than a hot bath!  I think this spot in the world would transfer to a larger painting pretty well.  May have to go for that.

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

4 comments:

Anna Lisa said...

Beautiful! Amazing how much better we do with less time and less stress in smaller paintings. I do agree that this warrants a larger version though. Love the colors!

Juliana said...

The reflections in this are yummy! I can't imagine I will ever get to the point that painting is relaxing for me (particularly if I never pick up a brush...), but as writing does the same thing for me, I can certainly relate.

Alice Jo Webb said...

I keep mulling over what medium to try with it and thinking one of each just to see what I get would be interesting. Glad you like it.

Alice Jo Webb said...

I'll paint, you write and one of these days we'll get it together and make a collaborative work, Juliana!