Friday, November 20, 2015

John Hutson Pottery

While in Taos recently, I wandered into a shop, Coyote Moon.  Drawn in by the vibrant colors and fun display in the window, I was quickly pulled by my eyes to a corner filled with ceramic pieces done in a style unlike any I'd seen before.  At first, red is the main color one sees in these dishes, but on closer inspection the layers of color under the glaze dance around each other.
A photo of Hutson's work from Instagram

Created by potter John Hutson, the pieces are pure eye candy; the designs giving them movement.  I knew if he had a crow design, I would be taking a dish home in my suitcase.  As he and I visited, he told me he puts the colors down in layers with black being the last.  He then scratches down with varying pressure into the color layers to create his design.  Lo and behold, the last plate I looked at had a crow on it! I knew that plate had been made just for me and I bought it happily.

My plate, complete with crow design.  Perfect!
Although Hutson doesn't have a web page, you can find him on Instagram.  To purchase his work, call Coyote Moon at 575-758-4437.  I'm SO nice giving that quaint little shop free advertising.

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

3 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

I am envious of that crow plate!! Lucky you, discovering this artist. I will have to check on him :)

Alice Jo Webb said...

Do! His work is happy.

Alice Jo Webb said...

Do! His work is happy.