Wednesday, September 14, 2016

The First Layer Can Be Scary

Whenever I start a painting this large and detailed I get nervous as I drop in the first layer of color.  Although the hues are right, until the shadow shapes begin it just looks vague and undecided.  Maybe this is good thing as it means I haven't overpainted it yet.  However, the possibility of that still lurks around the corner of tomorrow.  I can overpaint anything.  In my sleep with one hand tied behind my back.  Yep, I'm that.. er... good.

I enjoyed this sky process very much.  Wetting most of the sky area and then laying down blue streaks was fun.  Simple sky for a very detailed foreground.
In this piece I'm test-driving Daniel Smith's Burnt Sienna as the base of the red tones.  It leans a bit violet, not the rich orange-red I prefer.  However, I'm committed now and will have to just keep going.  Along with that color, I'm using Raw Sienna, Manganese Blue and Indigo.  Winsor Newton's Manganese is the perfect sky color.  Too weak to be much of a mixer, it is a clear, southwestern sky blue that looks like home to me.

The scary part.  Keep your fingers crossed!

It feels great to sit at my art table and lose myself in a project.  As an elementary art teacher, I often feel pulled clear to pieces by the end of the day.  Touched, patted, hugged, chattered to, tattled to, and called "Miss!" all day can leave me frazzled.  Don't get me wrong, it's sweet to be loved by my 248 (actual number, not an exaggeration like when I count grandkids..) students and I love them, too, but doing something that is all mine helps put me back together again.  Life can be intense at times!

Thanks for stopping by- Alice

No comments: