Wednesday, July 20, 2016

The Rental

Yesterday I passed this house on my way into town and was captured by the arches on the front porch.  I stopped and sketched it out in about 10 minutes, took a photo and drove on.  Today I sat down to finish it and decided to try laying in gouache into each shape just for the heck of it.  

I titled this "The Rental" because it just looked lived in but unloved.  
While it's not as muddy as the past few times I've tried it, I still don't love it.  So, using an old palette knife, I dug all the gouache out of the palette and threw it all in the trash.  Usually I doggedly stick to something I'm not good at for ages but not this time.  My life doesn't have the luxury of the extra time I used to have for my own ideas.  Right now, if I'm going to paint, it's going to be with a medium I love.  How liberating! I don't have to be good at everything. Whew, glad that's settled.

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

No comments: