Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Summer Sky

Today I had to run to town, which living at the very edge of nowhere makes no small matter.  I got my business finished, grabbed some groceries and headed home.  All the way here I was thrilled watching the summer monsoon clouds and finally had to pull off of the highway and get a sketch.  It didn't take me very long to do, mostly because it's around 105 degrees out there this afternoon.  Nothing like the feeling you might melt and run right off of the seat of your car to hurry one along.    
The southern N.M. summer sky, painted in my little travel sketchbook

These distant and growing cloud shapes never fail to amaze me.  Even though this summer's crop of clouds aren't bringing a lot of moisture, they do make for dramatic and ever changing scenery.  When there is lightning flashing behind them, there is no more lovely show to watch.  At least not to me.  I feel at peace after taking time to add a new sketch to my book.  The old saying "Music soothes the savage beast" is almost right!  It should read "painting," don't you think?  

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

I think the quote needs to read Baking soothes the savage beast :)

Alice Jo Webb said...

That works too- along with eating chocolate...

Anna Lisa said...

Really like this little doodle's style! Free and loose...
Agree on the soothing - chocolate is best...and caramel popcorn, and ice cream....and...and...

Alice Jo Webb said...

LOL! Chocolate soothes away nearly everythING.