Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Progress

As I am working around class schedules, progress on my loom and getting started on the weaving has been slow.  However, the warp yarn is on its way from Taos, NM and should be here by Friday.  I love having a present coming in the mail.  If someone had told me I'd be this excited about a spool of plain white wool yarn coming in the mail a year ago, I'd have thought they were nuts.

The loom at Hubbell Trading Post was tightened by turnbuckles on the top and I figured that looked simpler than tightening by having to adjust knots in a cord along the top of the weaving.  So, yesterday I finally went to Ace Hardware and bought some for $9.00. Three dowel rods set me back another $5.00, bringing the price for the loom to $14.00.  I can live with this!  A cool new tool and all the little bits and pieces to use with it for fourteen dollars is right in my price range.

The loom at the Hubbell Trading Post.  As you can see, it is adjusted with turnbuckles.

Although I already have the design drawn up and ready to go, I'm going back and forth between brown and white or black and white for the first piece.  I'm keeping the design under my hat for now, but it'll show as the work progresses.  I hope!

The great yarn dilemma 

Today I got the combs finished up.  I used Danish oil on them and it's drying now. They were surprisingly satisfying to make.  I'm not usually patient enough for woodworking, but this has been enjoyable.    By Friday or Saturday I should be ready to start warping.

Three sizes of combs.  The one on the left is made of fir, while the smaller two are mesquite wood. 


Me, after an afternoon in the shop sanding and filing and having a great time. 

No comments: