Saturday, April 26, 2014

Color Study 2, Off of the Loom

This week I pulled my weaving project off of the loom.  The point of it was to further explore color and the way mixing it in fibers works.  Although I understand color theory in paint, fibers is a whole different concept.  Using a grey, black, red, yellow and brown warp, I wove it with the same primary colors with a raspberry thrown in for fun and a bit more black for design in an undulating twill.  The color mixtures were fascinating to watch as they grew.


The center of interest on this piece turned out eye popping in the color mixtures.  My favorite area is the red/raspberry combination.

Using a variegated yarn in the yellow hue gives the yellow section movement.  I will use variegated yarn again! 

Here is the rough piece, ready to hang or whatever I decide to do with it.  You can see an error in my warping.  I didn't catch it till I was in the red section of weaving, so I guess I'll just have to say it's  design element!  

Lessons learned from this project:
  • Use a better yarn for the warping.  I used a sport weight wool for both warp and weft and wish I hadn't
  • Red and purple are GREAT woven together while blue and yellow don't always make green
  • Check the warp in the sample strip better for errors
  • I LOVE weaving
I'm so excited to start warping my Navajo style loom and learning about using it.  

No comments: