Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Navajo Country, Watercolor

I've begun a new landscape from photos I took while we were traveling through Navajo country by Gallup, NM.  I love red, craggy rocks and the shadows our harsh southwestern light casts.  This one has been in the making for a long time in my head and yesterday finally moved to the front of the line, ready to begin.  I've learned when that hits, do it.  Now.  If I wait till it's convenient, it won't happen.


Under-painted with Yellow Ochre, with a simple sky 



Laying in the rock color, Alizarin Crimson, Burnt Sienna and a bit of New Gamboge



Very excited at this point, had to step back so I could keep the pace smooth and my thinking ahead of the progress of the piece.  I used Pthalo Blue and Indigo for the shadow areas, with the top of the rock area a greened-down grey made from all the colors on the mixing tray.  I'm anxious to get on to the next part, but homework has to take the front seat.  

This semester ends in just two weeks, which means getting all of the end of semester jobs wrapped up, final exams studied for and ready for the end of the year art show. Hopefully, I won't have to wait that long to finish this piece!  

No comments: