Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thanksgiving, 2015

Something in the red sandstone of the southwest grabs me by the throat and speaks to the wildness in my nature every time I get to be out in it. We took a flying trip to explore camping spots for a family gathering we are planning and got to see some of the most magnificent country anywhere. I feel privileged to have access to such places. The week has been an oasis in an intense time in my life. 
I've been soothed once again by nature. The patterns and shapes in the sandstone may show up in a project one of these days after my mind processes them. They were all across the Navajo nation from Many Farms to Page, AZ. Formed in concentric rings that suddenly meet lines coming from a different angle, the designs they make are complex and fascinating. They were like tides frozen in time. 
Although I've seen photos of goosenecks in the Colorado River, getting to see one in person filled me with awe. I did get to make some sketch and color notes but haven't had a chance to do the painting work I want to start. That's okay, though, it will happen. There were other priorities to take care of this week. 
Today we hiked with the grandkids and their parents along the edge of bluffs overlooking part of the painted desert. The chance to be in such an amazing place with my precious family trumped painting. Watching the children pick up rocks or stop to look over a strange plant reminded me that we can share our love of the outdoors with them, passing on the joy and peace nature can bring.  It was a sweet reminder of how much I have to be grateful for. A family to love, a beautiful land to live in and work to do make me rich beyond money. Tonight my heart is full of gratitude for all of this. And more. 

Thanks for stopping by!  Alice



No comments: