Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Nicolai Fechin Lithographs

The art community of Taos seems to show work collectively.  The days I was there recently were a celebration of printmaking, so I got to see quite a few great prints.  At the Taos Art Musem/Fechin House were two lithographs by Fechin that I wanted to share with you.  Hanging on the wall in the living space at the museum, they caught my eye immediately.  I really need to learn more about printmaking.

Mexican Grandmother, Lithograph
1938
15 1/4" x 10 3/4"

Born in Russia and an immigrant to the U.S., Fechin moved to Taos because of tuberculosis.  He painted the Native Americans, among other people, along with renovating his house.  I didn't know of this artist or his work until I visited the Taos Museum, but his style has caught my imagination.  


Bearded Old Man
Lithograph
14 1/2 x 11

These two prints are not only skillfully done, they emit emotion.  They also give me a feeling of history, time and space that surpasses the technical skill they show.  This is an artist to learn about.

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

1 comment:

Juliana said...

The eyes are amazing in these!