Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Mule Creek Ruin

This work week has been filled with drama and stress.  Fairly normal week.  I think I need my head examined.  So, I came out to the studio to look over projects past and future- just to get a chance to soak up some peace and quiet and hopefully find a bit of inspiration for what I'm trying to accomplish out here, which is learning to simplify my work.
Where this thing stood for nearly a year after I realized the black resist lines wouldn't hold the wet dyes back like I had hoped- so much for dropping in dyes. Nothing is ever REALLY as easy as it is in my imagination.

A little over a year ago I tried an experiment with the same goal in mind and really enjoyed the project.  You can read about its beginnings HERE.  Working with fabric medium, Jacquard Dyes and Derwent's Inktense pencils I thought I'd see what I could do with basic shapes and color on a piece of muslin bedsheet.  After quite a bit of trial and error, I came up with a piece I quite liked.  Since that time, I've tried to quilt it with no success.  The painted fabric is just too stiff to allow for hand-quilting, darn it.  I've set it aside until I can find a quilting foot for my old sewing machine.
Mule Creek Ruin with all the color on and pinned down, ready to quilt.  I used Derwent's Inktense pencils and sticks on it with fabric medium and gained a whole lot more control over the colors.   

I'm showing an unfinished project for a reason, however.  If I could see and express myself in basic shapes when I was using an unfamiliar medium, why do I struggle so to paint them in watercolor?  As I'm sitting across the room from this- whatever you call it- (textile?) piece, I'm trying to understand why I get so involved in minute detail when I am painting.  So far, I still have no idea.  But looking at it has calmed my heart a bit and helped me see that what I'm striving to do is possible.  And for tonight, that'll have to do.

Thanks for stopping by- Alice


No comments: