Saturday, January 27, 2018

Soldiers In Copic

Our youngest son, Parker T. Webb, recently began a series that I just had to share here.  This morning I asked him some questions about what he was doing and why- he has refused to do 2-dimensional work for several years- and I wondered what inspired this sudden interest in drawing again.  His replies helped give me more depth to add to what I saw.

Dough Boy
Copic Markers and ink on Bristol Board


When I asked why this particular subject, Parker said, "I have always had a fascination with history and the World Wars in particular.  I saw a picture that made me want to draw these figures.  WWI history isn't very commonly shown, so I wanted to learn about it by drawing it."  He's always learned through drawing or sculpting.  Great technique, actually- processing information through creativity.
German, Warming By His Pipe
Copic markers and ink on Bristol Board

Then I asked him what he was thinking about as he worked, and his reply was interesting, coming from a modern day 23 year old. "I think about the men in the pictures and what they were feeling and seeing.  I think about what it must have been like going to live in the awful, muddy, war-torn trenches and how men were real men; not to say that there aren't any men today, but it took a lot for so many to answer the call to war.  I've been fascinated by the stories of bravery and mercy shown by both sides.  None of them wanted to be there, German, American or any other group.  They just did what they had to do."
I included this because, even though unfinished,  I can see his process in it.  Instead of working all over the paper in layers, he takes each section separately.  Like me! 

Another thing I wanted to know was why use Copic Markers for this set of drawings?  (I've been trying to talk him in to painting for years)  He told me he loves the control they give him and that he hates painting.  Sigh... I already KNEW that!  You know, considering this year is the 100th anniversary of the end of WWI, his timing is spot on and these drawing have made me want to take another look at the "War to End All Wars." Maybe I'll read All Quiet on the Western Front again, but Parker's drawings will have been my inspiration for it.

Thanks for stopping by- Alice



2 comments:

Peggy Stermer-Cox said...

Hi! This is such an interesting article. I enjoyed reading about your son's point of view as well as looking at the drawings. They do remind me of the book "All Quiet on the Western Front". Thanks!

Alice Jo Webb said...

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it.