Monday, April 18, 2016

Black Velvet Striper- A Real Workhorse

Paintbrushes are some of my favorite luxuries.  You don't have to spend a fortune on the very best sable to get great brushes, either.  For watercolor, some of the best brushes around are made by Silver Brush in their Black Velvet line and they're not high priced.  You can see more about their brushes HERE.
A stock photo from Dick Blick art supply shows the great shape

When I was painting the bare mesquite branches in my recent painting, "Dusk Falls On Buckhorn," I fell in love all over again with my 1/4" striper.  Just for fun after work today, I filled the belly of the brush with pthalo blue paint and began a line on a piece of printer paper just to see how long it would hold out.  As you can see from the photo, you can get a lot of line with one dip.
A continuous line made from one dip into blue; this brush is a great pal to have in brush can

I know I sound like a commercial.  Oh well- I was so glad someone told me about these brushes when I began to get serious about painting so am passing it along to you.  If you have already discovered these treasures, I'm sure you can attest to their quality.  Happy painting!

Thanks for stopping by- Alice

No comments: