Saturday, April 16, 2016

A Cactus Teaser

One of our grand-daughters, at the ripe old age of 5, was telling us about kindergarten.  She said it was, "Bo-wing, bo-wing, bo-wing, blah, blah blah."  She'd already learned all that stuff at home and had gone there with the idea that she was going to learn about cool stuff, like blood and guts.  While I felt bad for a teacher who had to meet such grand expectations, it was funny and hard not to laugh.
Underpainting in watercolor, then adding line work for visual interest- well, that's the official version.  It's just plain fun, that's the true story.  

Today, though, I realized the same thing has been keeping me from working on the latest cactus piece.  It was boring- the thrill of seeing how far I could take it was gone and it was just a chore to finish- like laundry.  I hated to throw it out or hide it away to nag at me with its unfinished-ness, but I wasn't doing a great job of it.  Besides, that paper cost a fortune; who pays $20.00 for a sheet of paper, anyway?  Then, I spotted my markers and decided to go for it.  Why not?  Well, why not indeed!  It's my paper, my painting and only has to make me happy.  So, here's a teaser of what I'm playing at.  If I ever finish the enormous thing, I'll share it with you.  In the meantime, there is some serious fun happening here.

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

2 comments:

Anna Lisa said...

I'm liking this watercolor and line technique - like the Grand Canyon piece!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, my daughter says this one is the child of the Grand Canyon piece.