Thursday, March 12, 2015

Meet My Friend, Kenny Rhodes

I first met Kenny Rhodes when I took an oil painting class from him at Eastern Arizona College.  We had similar views on the world and senses of humor and became friends quickly.  I am excited to feature Kenny's work on Whatercolorit because he doesn't take much time to feature or promote his work.  Kenny is devoted to his family and students.  Married and a father, he also is the department head at EAC and teaches a heavy class load.  Summers have been taken up with wild-land firefighting.  

Kenny Rhodes in his Superman suit
I asked him a few questions about his art.

Me:
What inspires you when you get stuck?

Kenny: 
I find myself going through cycles of inspiration and lack thereof.  Teaching a heavy course load of so many different art disciplines can really take its toll on my creativity and motivation.  I get out of that funk in a variety of ways.  Travel generally helps. I always make a point of seeing what other artists are doing when I travel.  Sometimes I get an exceptional student who is really driven to learn new techniques so that generally pushes me to produce.  It amazes me how some of them have no fear when it comes to trying new things.

Bull Skull, oil on canvas
24" x 36"

Me:
What/who influences your work?

Kenny:
I have had a variety of people influence me through the years.  Most recently I purchased the book Daily Painting by Carol Marine.  She and several others describe a variety of challenges they have faced as artists.  It was as if they were describing my life as an artist.  I found it very motivating. In addition, last summer I completed my 20th and final season as a wildland firefighter.  This summer job took me on adventures in remote locations in the western United States.  It also provided me with many resources for future paintings.

Ke’ ahi o’ Malamalama (The Light of the Fire)
16″x 20″, oil on canvas

Me:
Will you tell me more about the subjects you paint?

Kenny: 
I have found that there are quite a few similarities between Native Hawaiians and Native Americans.  One of the most prominent is their struggle to maintain their identity and traditions.  It is very challenging to find the “fit” with modern society and still be able to maintain cultural heritage.  Nearly everyone I have asked from both groups has been open and willing to share their culture.  Another similarity is their deep family ties.  I have seen so many sacrifices made to help family.  It’s really moving.

'The Guardian' Oil
20" x 16" 
 
Growing up near the San Carlos Apache Reservation, I learned to appreciate the beauty of their traditions.  My wife was born and raised in Hawaii and has been a Polynesian dancer since she could walk.  She traveled internationally and performed professionally for many years, so I have been fortunate to have her to teach me about the Hawaiian culture.  I very much enjoy the contrast between the lush tropics of Hawaii and the arid beauty of the desert southwest. 
Midnight Blue, Oil
16" x 20"
When I asked Kenny about how he could be contacted he said:


Currently I don’t have my work online, although I am working on it.  I hope to have things up and running this summer.  This is my first free summer in 20 years.  I gave up my seasonal job as a wildland firefighter.   I have shown in several galleries but find it pretty painful to pay such a high commission, so I avoid selling in the gallery scene.  By doing so, both the customer and I benefit.  I have to say that it has been really liberating to paint strictly for myself.  Since I stopped placing a heavy emphasis on what people will like or what will sell, I have found that I really enjoy the process, which was why I started to create art as a child.  If someone is interested in seeing my work, or buying a piece they can email me at fireandice_64@hotmail.com or visit my new blog, https://tonedcanvas.wordpress.com
'All of the Ingredients' oil
16" x 20"
Thanks for stopping by and I'll see you soon.  Alice





No comments: