Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Introducing M. Fred Barraza, Part 1

I'd love to introduce you to artist M. Fred Barraza.  A multi-media artist, Barraza works in printmaking, painting, drawing (including illustration) and sculpture.  Drawing teacher for Western New Mexico University for 5 1/2 years, Barazza's views on the importance of drawing carry weight.  He says:   

In my drawing class room, within the first couple of class days I give a power point presentation titled, “Is Drawing Important?”  This presentation introduces the students to the type of work I do. I show them that normally, most pieces I conceive started as a sketch or drawing.  I put down on paper what I want to achieve, whether it is in my printmaking, painting, sculpture or “just” a drawing.
'Anna'

Computer graphics has changed how young students approach drawing and design- some think that it is not necessary to learn drawing techniques and mediums. I tell them that understanding drawing techniques and mediums is a tool for visual problem solving in every artistic discipline. Drawing enhances the way we see the world around us. I mention to the students something I had read quite some time ago, and I don’t even know what it related to anymore or who said this, but it goes something like this, “ You don’t have to know how to swim to work a boat, but sooner or later, you’ll wish you’d learned.”

'Blair Davidson'
I ask the students to think about the importance of drawing. What can we achieve?  Well, let's look at some of the answers: 1. To visualize thought and work something out.  2. To give instruction on how to make something or provide a pattern to follow. 3. If you have clients, they may need to visualize what is proposed. 4. Describing or recording something. 4. Drawing just because you enjoy doing so. Drawing is a way to develop overall art skills or as a stand alone work of art. 

'Dierdre' 
Although modernist art movements have challenged the Renaissance notion of rational illusionist space, there is value in learning to draw realistically from observation.  I also 'get' the need for expressive freedom in an art making world, but as a teacher I have come to also understand the importance of discipline, patience, eye hand coordination, a good work ethic and the need for skill with the essential tools and mediums needed to take advantage of artistic freedom.


'Down to San Lorenzo' Oil 

I have admired Barraza's drawings since my first semester at WNMU, but his paintings are every bit as beautiful and well-crafted.


'Judith' Colored pencil 
Few artists are as comfortable with the human figure as they are with landscapes.  Each are demanding genres, but Barraza has mastered both.  Based on solid foundations of good drawings, his paintings express an understanding of the area he lives and works in.


'Old Fort Bayard Highway' Oil
I have enjoyed deciding which images to use for this post so much that I'll feature Barraza's Art again.  Be sure to pop back in for Part 2 of this artist's work.  Till then, Alice

No comments: