Saturday, August 4, 2018

Poppies, Take 2 or Drawing Up

Recently I tried a poppy painting that flopped in a big, over-painted way. Since this is a commission, it's been weighing heavily on my mind for the past 2 or 3 weeks. It's time to try again.

To get what I wanted, I drew a small sketch of what I wanted it to look like, then traced the lines I wanted to keep. Then it was time to translate those lines onto the watercolor sheet. I divided both the tracing and the full sheet into quarters, then drew what was in each quarter of the tracing onto the paper. With organic shapes I find this to be the easiest method for me. Now it's ready for the fun part.

Hopefully I'll be more hesitant to paint this one to death!

Thanks for stopping by- Alice

2 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Alice I discovered your blog through Rhonda's. I loved your poppies. We often are our own worse enemies when we view our art. So understand your feelings...been there many times myself. Will be back to see your new poppy painting. Have a wonderful day.

Alice Jo Webb said...

Welcome here! So glad you like the Poppies, and yes, we do tend to be critics most of ourselves.