Saturday, December 16, 2017

Grisaille, a Sneak Peak

It is time to shake things up in my studio.  All those little bushes on my last painting kind of freaked my eyes out and I need something new to think about.  After doing a little research and thinking about it a bit, I decided to see what the technique- called grisaille- would look like under an agave with watercolor.  Might be a disaster, might be wildly successful, who knows?  At this point, all I can say for sure is my waterproof ink, Higgins "Black Magic," is a pain in the neck.  Wet on dry, wet into wet, getting a smooth gradation is tricky.  As you can see.
Wanting a chiaroscuro effect, I decided to go all out with a black ink underpainting.  

However, it's fun.  I like the stark look of it.  Playing around with value without the added thought process of color is interesting.  The black may totally kill the color when I glaze over it later, but for now it's pretty cool.

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

2 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

I like this as it is - perhaps do another with an underpainting of color (dark blue? just a thought). But this is definitely striking so I hope you don't get smears when you lay down the colors - keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Alice Jo Webb said...

Me too, Rhonda. It's supposed to be waterproof and I tested it a bit, but laid in this heavy it might lift. I'll post the success/disaster either way!