Friday, December 8, 2017

Autodesk's Sketchbook

A few years ago I played around with sketching on my iPad, and enjoyed it but didn't do a whole lot with it.  What little time I had I preferred to work with real paint.  However, recently I was waiting around for a new grand baby to be born and started playing around with the Sketchbook app from Autodesk.  It's an Android app and is pretty great to work with once you get the hang of it.
Kind of a fun logo, makes me want to draw.  Huh, probably what they had in mind! 


I'm still fascinated by the demolition of the old cotton gin in our valley and thought I'd try another sketch of it to learn the app.  I did a watercolor sketch of it in one of my travel sketchbooks with Copics a few weeks ago and imported that photo into the app.

Drawn with a stylus on Autodesk's Sketchbook App, this was fun to make.  It's a pretty great art app for on the go.
Because you can create layers, you can draw the cheater's way, which is what I did.  Putting the photo on the bottom layer, I traced the angles of the building with my stylus and then deleted the photo and- presto chango!- I had an accurate drawing.  From there it was a matter of mixing up the colors I wanted in the app and using the paintbrush/pen tools to create the finished piece.  It was fun and lighthearted to do and killed some time waiting around without having to pull out a whole pile of art supplies. If you have an Android, you ought to give it a tryout. 

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

No comments: