Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Old Hotel

Since I'm going to be away from my studio for several days, I'm trying to spend creative time in my sketchbook each day. There's a freedom in working this way. Instead of a large, gallery-quality painting and the pressure that goes with it, (pressure I love, by the way..) working in the sketchbook gives me a sense of play that makes these little pieces a joy to make.

In my studio I can usually stage the light for good photos, but I'm improvising today. A quick shot with my cell phone camera, uploaded to my tablet and shared here.  I'm learning to blog on the go!  

I brought my basic supplies along. The bag I keep these in is one of the things I keep an eye on, always aware of where it is in the event we head out someplace at the last minute. 

Today I took the time to finish a drawing I started a few weeks ago. Drawn on location, it still needed color added and a few details put in place. It's funny to me how working on this little piece smoothed out the wrinkles in my spirit and relaxed my shoulders. The need to create things is real. 

The abandoned hotel, car dealer and tiled store fronts in Lordsburg, NM caught my eye one evening while waiting to meet my husband for dinner and I just had to sketch it out. 
This sketchbook is becoming more important to me daily, just like the others do as I begin to fill them up. 


No comments: