Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Watercolors in the Field

I usually take art supplies along with me in my car.  However, I always have a different set-up with me and the more stuff I take, the less likely I am to actually take the time to sketch or paint.  I have used different bags, boxes and cases.  I have made tiny paint boxes, I have bought tiny paint boxes and I have used half and full pans in them, trying to find the perfect paint palette to haul along with me away from home.  I buy watercolor paper in blocks, spiral bound books and even a large watercolor Moleskine book to put into my assorted bags.  Travel paint brushes, water cups, paper towel packs; you name it, I've bought or tried to make it.  Here is what I could lay my hands on quickly in my studio:


I have enough stuff for two or three field kits.  Let's face it, who can resist tiny little art supplies?  Certainly not me!  Even though I have the perfect tiny little paint box/palette, when I see a travel palette in an art supply store, I have to work to resist the urge to buy it.  I think the attraction is this; if I buy the perfect tool or material I will be a better artist!  I will be out in the field, painting up a storm nearly every single day.  The truth of the matter is this, new supplies don't make me a better artist, hard work does.  No shortcuts.  Dang it.  

So, I am putting only what will fit into a wooden cigar box, including paper, with the hope that I will keep it in my car and use it just because it is cute and simple.  Here are some links to fun ideas for travel watercolor kits.  It's fun to see what other people use, kind of artist voyerism.  



The best link is the last link.  Be sure to check out her video for fantastic, really fantastic ideas for travel palettes.  It makes my little pile of toys look so overdone.  I LOVE the ideas in her video.  


Enjoy, and happy painting.  I'd love to know what you travel with.  



No comments: