Saturday, January 20, 2018

Towards The Gila

The Gila Wilderness is a rugged mountain range in Western New Mexico.  Few roads and steep, rocky slopes make it difficult to access, while the clear streams make getting into the wilderness worth it for many people.  This view is my favorite part of the drive home from Arizona's White Mountains.  The Gila comes into view just around a bend, framed perfectly in the distance.  I've always wanted to paint it.  
Towards The Gila
Watercolor on paper
7" x 10"

Lately I've been studying and thinking on how to get more emotion into my work and less concern for realistic detail and color.  I've spent hours pouring over the work of Maynard Dixon and Canada's Group of Seven, all of whose work I admire.  They erased all of the detail that didn't add to the composition they chose and painted shapes, arranged well.  I love the idea and want to pay more attention to shapes and less to minutiae for awhile.  Although all of the above mentioned artists painted in oils, I think I can get the same feeling with watercolors. Today was my first attempt.

Thanks for stopping by! Alice  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

+Alice, your work is amazing. I love this painting.

Alice Jo Webb said...

That makes me happy. Thank you!

Peggy Stermer-Cox said...

Hi Alice, I enjoy looking at your blog posts. As the Silver City/Bayard area is my childhood home, I love the nostalgia of seeing SW New Mexico. Plus, I like reading your insights on painting.

I plan on sharing this particular blog post on my family's "John Stermer Fine Art" facebook page. My Dad was a Silver City artist. Thank you!

Alice Jo Webb said...

I'm so glad you visit Whatercolorit! Peggy, I keep thinking we've met, but can't remember where. I am somewhat familiar with your father's work. There is a piece on the website that really speaks to me entitled L'Iglesia, especially right now as I'm trying to get ready to work more in shapes. Thank you for your interest and support.