Sunday, December 10, 2017

Above the Little Colorado

Above the Grand Canyon, the Little Colorado River has cut some tall, narrow canyons of its own that are as spectacular in their own way as the G.C. itself.  Further south in Arizona, this river is more like a stream, sometimes dry and always little.  However, the canyon it has cut into the high desert is truly impressive and one of our favorite spots to be.  There is a small, frail guardrail in one place, so one stands at the edge of the chasm and feels the age and majesty of this place with no barrier to the experience.  It is a wild place.    
I've put so much paint and water into this paper, even at a 300 lb. weight, it has buckled.  I've had to pin it down to so it can begin to flatten out again.

 Above the Little Colorado
22" x 30"

After weeks of work, I finally finished this yesterday evening.  I don't know why some paintings flow out of the end of the brush and others have to be squeezed out bit by bit, but that does seem to be the way of it now and then.  Last night when I was finally satisfied and ready to set it aside, I actually felt a sense of relief and then for about 20 minutes just sat in my chair and shook.  I've never had such a strong, physical reaction to finishing a piece before.  I was drained.  Perhaps I'll understand why one of these days.

Thanks for stopping by!  Alice




2 comments:

Anna Lisa said...

I'm so happy to see your paintings again! I completely understand about some paintings falling off the brush and others being a strain. I wish I knew the answer as to why this happens. Thank you again for sharing your work...and observations.

Alice Jo Webb said...

Thanks for reading, Anna Lisa. I sure hope I can paint a little more often than I have been- I'm a much nicer person when I do!