Thursday, October 5, 2017

Let's See

If you are a creative person, I'll bet that sometimes you look at your work and wonder if it's any good.  It's hard to be objective when looking at something you've just made.  I "see" differently after I've just finished a piece.  It's like I can't see it anymore.  Actually, I've found that if I put something away for awhile, I can see the strengths and mistakes when I pull it back out that I couldn't distinguish right after I had finished it.
Calvin at 5
Copic marker of Bristol Board
20" x 16"

Recently we visited our daughter, Katie Kellogg and her fabulous family.  She had a Copic drawing in her studio that was headed for the trash because all she could see when she looked at it was a mess.  The flaws she knew were there were so big and upsetting that she felt it was a failure.  I found it charming.  I was even jealous of her ability to handle her Copic markers so well.  In fact, the drawing is framed and hanging in my house.  I rescued it.  I suspect that one day she will visit me and "see" it and be able to enjoy it in a whole new light.  It's important to remember that what we think are not our best works may still touch something in someone else.  Don't throw that piece out, hang on to it and preserve the record of your work.  You may look back at it someday and find a treasure.

Thanks for stopping by! Alice

No comments: