Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Fat Over Lean

One of the rules I go by when oil painting is "fat over lean."  Keeping the first layers of paint fairly 'lean,' or thinned down with a bit of solvent, then adding thicker layers, and finally a layer with an oil (Liquin for me) medium in it helps the painting keep from getting the fine, crazed cracks one can sometimes see in an oil painting.  This evening after work I refined my composition a bit and defined the values where I want them.  Using Pthlalo Blue, Hansa Yellow, Burnt Umber and Zinc White I had a great time getting everything ready for the local colors I plan to use.
Where I left off on my last painting session...


Today's contribution; light, medium and dark values defined, with the composition refined. 


Not only has it been a relaxing evening after a hectic day at work, my studio smells heavenly!  One of the only things I don't like about watercolor is the lack of wonderful, oily, solvent-scented air that oil paints bring to the studio.  I keep wandering out here just to enjoy it.  I seem to have a paint addiction...

Thanks for stopping by!  Alice

No comments: