Saturday, May 10, 2014

Dressing the Loom, Part Two

This is day two of this process.  I've been reading and studying about each step for months, but I couldn't really know what each step would actually take till I got into it.  I was glad I'd read so much, but reading doesn't send the skill to my fingers!  If I knew what I know now, I'd have started much smaller.  I thought, "How hard can it be?" Hahaha!!

Once the warp is on the warping dowels, it's time to twine, or sew along each end to space the warp ends evenly.
Two lengths of yarn, knotted together, alternating over and under each warp end

Once the twining is done and firmly knotted at each end, it's time to attach the warp ends to the loom dowels.  Using a tough yarn, pick up both twining yarns and whip it to the dowel.



Ready to be mounted on the loom

The loom frame

Setting up the pull shed.  This stick with the yarn looped around it is attached to every other warp. When it is pulled towards the weaver, it'll open the "pull shed." 
The pull shed was one of the most difficult parts for me.  It is tricky to hold the dowel rod and loop the yarn over it evenly.  It's still not perfect, but I'm hoping I'll get better each time!

By the time I fought my way through this process, I had trashed the living room!  What a process.  


To me, this is really beautiful even without any weaving happening yet.  
You know, even though this is a difficult process, I actually loved it and will do it again. 

No comments: