Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Cotton Gin Prep

The old cotton gin in our area is being taken apart, piece by piece.  Nobody grows cotton here anymore.  It has been fascinating to watch the deconstruction each day as I drive past it on my way to work.  I've noticed it more since it began to die than I did before, and the light and shadow patterns it creates are wonderful. 

This past weekend I sat next to it, walked all around it and looked at it up close and personal.  I took photos and sat again and sketched it out in my travel watercolor book.  It's time to do a large painting of it and playing around with the colors helped me see beyond the blue/gray of the skin and begin to get involved with it in a deeper way.  This study has been a good process for me as I start to think about how to present the old gin on canvas.  Hopefully I can capture some of what I feel.  Hopefully, I can find time to begin! 

Thanks for stopping by- Alice

No comments: