Monday, November 28, 2016

After Washing, a Postscript

 Thought I'd better add a follow up to my last post in case anyone wanted to try this technique. To remove the resist when the project is complete, one has to wash the fabric with warm water and mild soap. While Jacquard's Dye-na-flow held up well to the washing, the Inktense pencil work faded. 
In this detail you can see how faded the Inktense was after I washed the resist out.  The two brightly colored pear shapes have been re-touched with Inktense and heat set again, while the lighter areas haven't.  I took this photo so you could see the amount of fading the Inktense did with warm water and mild soap.
Since this will be an art piece and not a utilitarian one, that's not going to be a problem. However, if it were going onto a garment or say- a pillowcase, it could be a big disappointment after a lot of careful work. 
The fabric, resist washed out, pear areas re-colored and ready for quilting.  Which my daughter wanted to do.  That's okay by me, she'll do a beautiful job. Painting it was the main part I was interested in.  Good team, huh?

None of this has dampened my enthusiasm for the idea or materials. I'm still dying to get back after it. Or should I say "dyeing" to get back??! 

Thanks for stopping by- Alice

No comments: