Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Learning Something New

At long last, a post on Whatercolorit!  The period between now and September 30, the day I last posted, feels like a lifetime… a long, drab lifetime.  I wish I could say the month and a half or so in between has been filled with amazing creativity, but alas- I cannot. For me, stress rarely leads to productive time and the past few weeks have been brutal.  ‘Nuff said. 


Here I am applying a resist, called "gutta" to the fabric which, in theory, will leave white spaces after it is washed away. I guess we'll see, huh!  

Today has been the first full, unobligated, free day I’ve had in all those weeks- a whole day at home, one that belonged just to me.  And- I didn’t know what to do with myself.  Of all the things I’ve been aching to do, I couldn’t choose something to work on!  I’ve flitted around here most of this day trying to apply myself to a project. 
The resist all applied and drying.  Now I just have to decide whether I'm going to use Inktense water-soluble pencils or Jaquard's Dye-na-flow fabric paints.  Both should work like watercolor paint.  Part of the fun will be pondering on the choice while I drift off to sleep!  

Finally, I grabbed a pencil and the stretched fabric I’ve been fretting over and just drew out a design.  I’ve had such a desire to try something totally new.  Days ago I stretched a piece of an old cotton bed sheet over a wooden frame so that I’d be ready when the moment came.  This project is a total experiment.  No pressure to make a masterpiece, just a chance to see what can be done.  I can’t describe how much better I feel tonight.  Like a dam has cracked and let a little bit of water through to give my roots some relief.  So much relief that some of that water is leaking right out of my eyes!

Thanks for stopping by- Alice 


No comments: