Friday, January 15, 2016

Old Work- Sort of Like Old Boyfriends

Now and then I go somewhere and see an old painting I did and it surprises me because I've forgotten all the stuff I have done over the years.  These days I keep a record of where my work is, but it wasn't always so. Who knows what is hanging on someone's wall just waiting for me to stumble upon it? Sort of like seeing an old flame and realizing my taste has, thankfully, changed.  
Seen tonight hanging on someone's wall, dang it

It's kind of an uncomfortable feeling, knowing there are paintings out there that are well below my current standard being looked at by someone's house guests and found lacking. When I see one I usually go through the process of- I thought that was good enough to be seen?  Really?? If I steal it off of the wall, will anyone notice?  Would it be realistic to trade them out of it with a newer one?  Here's the worst question: will I hate the replacement in 10 years as much as I hate this one? Ahhh, life's imponderable mysteries.  Now, if I'd kept a record, I could gather them up and hide them away, or at least know where not to visit.  The moral of this little story is; keep good records people.  You're welcome.

Thanks for stopping by- Alice

2 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

This just shows your growth as an artists! But, yes, sometimes seeing those older ones on someone's wall makes you want to steal it off and replace it. I feel that way when I see an old on on my mother's wall and I've offered to do a newer one of the same thing - only better - and she won't let me because she likes the old one! ha ha.

Alice Jo Webb said...

Hey! That's where this one hangs.