Friday, July 31, 2015

A Mess of Clouds

Today we took a flying trip. By flying, I mean my little car fairly flew trying to get us to Albuquerque before 5:00 pm. We made it, but only by the skin of our teeth. I've said I was going to put a painting in the state fair for several years. In the New Mexico State Fair there is a fine arts exhibit that is spectacular- every year. I always walk through it and think "I want to play in this sandbox!"  Well, this is the year I go for it. 

While my husband drove I decided to do a value sketch of the beautiful monsoon clouds. I can handle clouds if they're simple but these lofty, deep summer clouds always elude me. I hoped to learn from them by drawing them. I took my 'notes' with my pencil, then decided to try them with gouache used semi-transparent on the adjacent page. (Forgive the sad photography. I'm using my phone..)  Meh. They turned out to be nothing special. And, phthalo blue + burnt sienna makes a dirty green in gouache instead of the subtle violet they make in transparent watercolor, who knew?

Going for broke I figured I'd make the paint opaque. I have to stop being afraid of these stupid paints sometime and learn them. Le sigh.  I don't have anything fantastic to blog about tonight. I don't even have something to share that I've learned, well except that gouache isn't for the faint of heart. They are, however, smooth and creamy when mixed with white and might make some cool looking stuff. One of these days. (Possibly in someone else's hands) This just isn't that day. 

Thanks for stopping by!  Alice




2 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Don't be down on yourself - you are learning what the gouache paints will and won't do - and that will stand you in good stead later on. And clouds are soooo elusive!! I am thinking of doing some cloud studies, maybe challenging myself since we seem to have so many great skies lately with rain and then sun and damp days - I love all clouds even those stormy ones. I like your try on these - especially the touches of pink in the top right one.

Alice Jo Webb said...

I'd love to see the studies! Thanks for the encouraging words.