Sunday, June 28, 2015

Alternative Creativity

Kind of like alternative medicine...  sort of.  When I was raising a pile of starving children I found very little time to paint.  I learned to satisfy my creative needs through cooking and baking huge quantities of pretty foods that also kept the ravenous hoards at bay.  A twofer.  Since they've all left home I don't need to cook much, in fact learning to cook for two has been a trial; I still can't think of stuff to make that isn't designed to feed an army.

6 dozen doughnuts raising on the counter.
Today I found myself in need of a gift to welcome new friends to the valley and plenty of pent up energy, so I made a batch of doughnuts.  We ended up with enough of the cursed things to haul to lots of people, so now we are in good graces with our neighbors.  The downside of this is I over ate and feel like the Pillsbury Dough Girl.  I won't get the urge to make doughnuts again any time soon!

First batch in the oil, anticipation building!  
When I make things like this, I remember the satisfaction of lining 24 loaves of bread down my table and looking at them before I froze them.  They were beautiful and nutritious for my family and made me feel like I was still creating, even though I knew it would be devoured before the week was out. In my current life-season I don't have to make piles of food, but it's nice sometimes to make love-food for friends and family.  Even nicer to get the kitchen cleaned up and know I don't have to get up tomorrow morning and make a whole new mound of food!

Icing dripping off while they cool..  
Thanks for stopping by!  Alice




2 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

The donuts on the table waiting to rise could be installation art :) Pretty and interesting shapes, too! YUM! Making my mouth water just looking at this post.

Alice Jo Webb said...

I've thought of breads as art for years, Rhonda! Fun that you'd see it.