Friday, April 10, 2015

I Needed That!

I began a very challenging new job 4 weeks ago.  Thinking it'd take a week or two before I'd be painting again, I optimistically declared I'd be taking a week to get my feet under me and then I'd be back blogging again.  Ha!  Little did I know how much of me tackling the new skills would take.
Unused rooms become repositories of junk..

Today, however, I decided when I woke up stressed out over things at work at 4:00am I would excavate my studio instead of making endless lists that I'll just run out the door and leave on the side table in my haste to get to work early anyway.  It's pretty amazing how bad this place got in a month.  I had baby tomato plants on every surface, a box of photo frames I dragged out of storage for some crazy reason, flanked by piles of papers ready to prepare our taxes. (any day now) The mending pile on my sewing machine looked like it grew there, some organic, dust covered mass, ready to grow moss and offer a comfy seat to passing hikers.

My geranium seems to have become lonely in my absence, growing 4 foot long arms as though looking for a hug and some company.
I started out doing the job like I was tackling hated chores.  Funny, though, sorting and tossing and dusting the mess has calmed me and I feel like I can tackle the day.  I had forgotten that A. My studio is always a refuge to me and B. I have to live life outside of work in order to have balance.  What a relief to my over-burdened mind!  Maybe I can even steal an hour here and there to paint again.  I feel like dancing a jig!  Of course, I'd probably trip over the pile of stuff in the middle of the floor waiting to go to the dump if I did..

A small sampling of tomato plants preparing to become a jungle in my studio
No matter, life is getting good again!  Thanks for stopping by.  Alice

2 comments:

Juliana said...

I've been going through Alice Jo blog withdrawals lately, so I needed this! I've always kind of resented how my regular life gets in the way of my creative life. I frequently whine that I don't get enough uninterrupted time to write. If only I didn't have to work, make meals, keep a house together, etc. And then I remind myself that the tension of trying to balance various aspects of life keeps the creative side alive. No tension, and the creative side fades. Anyway, I'm glad you got some time in the studio, and glad that it rejuvenated your spirit.

Alice Jo Webb said...

Thank you, Juliana! I just saw this again and had to respond. It IS a daily struggle to keep a balanced life, isn't it? Lifelong, too, I guess...