Friday, March 6, 2015

M. Fred Barraza, Part 2

Continuing from yesterday, I asked Fred some questions that I always want to ask every artist I meet.  

MeWhat inspires you when you need ideas? 
  
Fred: Anything can inspire me. I love the shadows of early morning and late afternoons. I get enjoyment in drawing ordinary things, organic or other wise, such as an electrical wall socket, a computer mouse, a stapler.   In a meeting I might draw the person across from me or my water bottle or my clipboard.  In the class I teach I might draw students as they draw.  I enjoy drawing and painting landscapes and people. Waiting in a doctor's office, I may draw the chairs that are all in a row, practicing my perspective drawing, or someone waiting for the Doctor also, without them knowing (don't want them to feel uncomfortable with me staring).  My wife will sometimes ask me to keep my eye on the road a little more instead of looking around for some landscape I need to remember for art work.  I enjoy the use of good lights, darks and shadows.  I enjoy the feel of movement in something that is stationary.  For me, I can honestly say that I have so many ideas to explore in drawings, paintings, printmaking and sculpture, that I sometimes feel a slight self-pressure to get these done before I die.

'Mia' Graphite
Me: Who influenced/influences your work the most?  

Fred: There are so many artists works that influence me in some way.  As a young artist, my influences were artists such as Alberto Vargas, Alphonse Mucha and Maxfield Parrish.  A strong influence came when I was in the U.S. Marine Corps. Seeing and experiencing the Asian culture influenced my work.  Especially when I was in Hong Kong and Japan.  My student's work influences me. I enjoy seeing what they produce.  I do my art work first for self-enjoyment and if someone likes it, that's great.

'Alluvion Encounter'
Me:You've done a lot of 'woodcut' inspired pieces.  Where did that idea come from?   

Fred: Linoleum cuts are in the same category as woodcuts, they are a relief printmaking process.  Learning about printmaking in college I practiced the intaglio process; I did lithographs and serigraphs.  For a while I was not particularly impressed with the relief process.  So many things I saw being produced were pretty much hard contrasting black and white cut outs.  So, referring back to what I had seen when I was overseas in the Marine Corps, I started practicing more of a linear process of cutting out the linoleum. In my studio I have a large etching press which I purchased after starting my post college day job.  I love printmaking.

'High Clouds' Linocut
Me: How can people see or purchase your work?  

Fred: At the moment, I am not in a gallery.  I used to be in two galleries, one in the area and one in Albuquerque.  I have abandoned that for now but will eventually get back to the idea of placing my art in a gallery again.  My work can be seen at Adobe Springs Cafe in Silver City, NM.  People may purchase the work there.  I have actually had more sales there than at the galleries I was in.  I am planning on starting a new web site. The old one needs a major overhaul.  If anyone is interested in my art, they may contact me at fredbarraza@gmail.com.   I am currently working on illustrations for another children's book.  
'Prickly Poppies and Moon' 

 While visiting with Fred, he told me this will likely be his last semester at Western New Mexico University.  While this makes me sad for the students there, it will be interesting to see where he goes next and what new adventures are ahead for him.  

'Reading by the River'
When Fred Barraza gets a webpage, I will post it here.  In the meantime, I feel inspired to go forth and work!  Hard.  Thanks for coming by, Alice

No comments: